Islamic philanthropy: UNCHR’s Zakat funds saw 12.5% jump in donations to $48.5mln
The UN Refugee Agency supported 2.1 million refugees and internally displaced people (IDPs) through Zakat and Sadaqah funds in 2020, thanks to institutional partners and philanthropists across the region and globally.
Zakat donations last year saw a 12.5 percent increase at $48.5 million compared with 2019.There was also an increase of 59 percent growth in Zakat beneficiaries, the agency said in its Annual Islamic Philanthropy Report, titled ‘Islamic Philanthropy – Transforming the Lives of the World’s Displaced.’
Majority of Zakat donations (97 percent) came from the Middle East and North Africa. Institutional partners and philanthropists provided 87 percent of donations, while the remaining 13 percent came from digital donations.Contributions received helped UNHCR in providing lifesaving support through the distribution of cash assistance and goods, allowing refugees and IDPs to address immediate needs including shelter, food, education, healthcare, and debt repayment. The support also provided helped refugees and IDPs to effectively address economic hardships that were further exacerbated by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic
Zakat funds were distributed in ten countries Yemen, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Niger, Mauritania, Iraq, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. Most of the funding went towards supporting Yemeni IDPs, Syrian refugees, and Rohingya refugees.
Courtesy by :https://www.zawya.com/mena/